S.A.F.E. Expressions® Admission (currently suspended)
This outpatient program is an early intervention program for adolescents 12-18 years of age who are still in school and whose self-injurious behavior negatively impacts their lives. Often times the school acts as the catalyst in asking the parents to get an assessment for their adolescent.
Programming consists of a combination of individual, group, and family therapy. Group topics include: trauma and issues underlying self injury, relationships, communication, denial, feelings, learning to use impulse control logs and other alternatives.
S.A.F.E. Expressions® typically meets during daytime hours, Monday through Friday. Please contact us for more details.
Adolescents most appropriate for S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® Adolescent Expressions® include:
- Individuals whose history is indicative of a shorter duration and severity of self-injury.
- Individuals who are not appropriate for the Intensive/30-Day S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® program, i.e. those individuals who don't have an established therapist, stable housing, the commitment/motivation to sign the No-Harm Contract, or the financial resources needed.
- Individuals whose safety can be maintained on an outpatient basis.
All patients are expected to:
- Actively participate in all groups
- Actively participate in individual and family sessions
- Address all forms of self-injury, including food and nutrition issues
- Identify alternatives to self-injury
- Utilize the various alternatives taught by the program
- Follow individualized treatment plans
- Abide by all terms specified in the S.A.F.E. Promise and hospital policy
Because adolescents are often ambivalent about giving up self-injury, treatment continues even if an individual is not motivated to stop injuring. The patient will be asked to sign the S.A.F.E. Promise on admission, stating they will attempt to refrain from self-injury and destructive behaviors by using the alternatives they learn. If an adolescent continues to repeatedly fail to keep the S.A.F.E. Promise, the treatment team in consultation with the psychiatrist, will re-evaluate the most appropriate level of care for the patient.
Many commercial insurance plans will pay for this treatment. Each insurance company has its own criteria for admission and each policy has its own unique package. The financial counselors in the business office will assist in determining individual policy coverage.
To make an appointment for an assessment, please call 800.366.8288. At times, this program is not open depending on client needs.